Sunday, November 18, 2012

Adventures in cardboard electronics





I have been playing around with packaging ideas for a while and messing around with paper forms. Then one day I "graduated" to cardboard and started ripping off boxes and hacking them up with my new hand-held bevel cutter to see if I could improve how the corners join together. The top image shows the latest incarnation of the process.

The bottom three images are my first attempt to try and "package" electronics into a custom container, which is going to be really important to grasp in my work eventually. I thought "how hard could it be?" Turns out that planning how something fits into something else while providing some kind of stimulus is really fucking hard (at least for me). But I learned a lot from the process. I don't keep the battery in it because it's basically a nice little fire hazard.

The idea of the "Hit the Dirt" monolith was a kind of internal joke. I was going to place this on my desk at work and turn it on based on how bad of a mood I was in. The potentiometers on the back allow the user to adjust the frequency of the blinking LED's so I could adjust the frequency based on the level of anger I was experiencing. The "Hit the Dirt" was just a warning that if one sees the blinking lights going apeshit they should drop to the floor to avoid flying fists. 

Of course I'm not really volatile. Mostly. Kidding. Anyway I like the idea. Once I slow down on my inking, I'll build another one that actually encloses the electronics and battery and update the graphics. 

No comments:

Post a Comment